April 14, 2021

Ever hear of a step over?

 Neither had I until this week.   A stepover is a form of espalier.  They are only about 15 to 24 inches tall so you can easily step over them...   and work best for apples, pears and vines.    They are also used in cold areas as a way to provide protection for figs.  Since the trunks are under 2 ft tall you can easily mound  mulch and dirt over them to provide protection for them.  This lets them be raised as far north as parts of Maine!  I still think I will stick with a pot for my fig tree(s). 

So back to a stepover.  They are often used alongside walkways as a way of defining a yard.  I would have to figure out where the safest place would be to plant the trees but I can visualize a step over on the east side of the front yard with two trees planted 8 ft apart.  That would give me the pollination I need for a crop of apples.  AND make a nice little barrier for the public


No comments:

Post a Comment