May 1, 2024

Spring is coming...

 It is still very early in the gardening season here so you can imagine my pleasure when I spotted 3 plants up from the  Catawissa walking onion topsets I was gifted this past fall.  This is one of three places I planted them so there is now hope that some more will pop in in those beds.  And now I need to check the beds that I put garlic bulbils into at the same time... 

We managed to get over to the city compost facility and have the back of the truck filled with compost to work into the garden in the back yard this weekend IF the weather lets us.  They are calling for snow showers and/or "breezy" weather that translates to only 10 to 15 mph steady but some gusts could be as high as 30 mph...    I still need the topsoil/compost blend the city sales but they were out and can't make more until the winds let up...  So I will be calling daily to see if they have managed to make some (the high winds affect their ability to use their machines to make the blend).   That is what will go in the lovely metal beds so we can use all of them this year. 

My apple trees for the back yard will be shipped sometimes in the next 7 days so we need to get their space ready for them.   And also a place for the serviceberry bush that will be in the box with them.   

Seed potatoes are here and have been set out to chit, potato seeds are sprouting, and I will be starting to harden off my seedlings which include tomatoes, peppers (both sweet and hot) brussels sprouts, marigolds, rosemary, and a single baby rhubarb plant from the one seed I found :).

No comments:

Post a Comment