March 12, 2021

More snow!?

Yes the forecast is for 2 to 3 feet of snow over the next 3 days.  So indoor projects are in the works.  

My first attempt at sprouting grain in a jar got started last night.  I am actually not growing big sprouts like for radishes or alfalfa but rather I am just growing these until a small tail appears, something like malting barley.  Once those appear I will spread the grain on a cookie sheet to dry.  Once totally dry I can store it like any dry grain and use in soups, stews, etc for more flavor OR even cook it into a whole grain porridge.   I only used about a cup of einkorn wheat last night but that should be enough to let us decide if we like the flavor... 

Also later tonight I will set up my first micro greens!  I found a little kit complete with dirt, trays, seeds and instructions at Home Microgreens.  I also ordered a couple of other types of seeds while there so I could try them.  If all goes well in the next few months I should have Sunflower, Lettuce and Mesclun micro greens... 

And yes I am still fiddling with the garden plan. I have 4 Asparagus plants to start my little bed with.  I know I really want more but 4 is better then none...  I also paid some attention to the varieties I got.  I have two Martha Washington and I hope at least one is a female plant as that would mean I could get seedlings that could be used to expand my bed.  I also got 2 Purple Passion plants.  These are a mostly male variety so the chance of seedlings are slim... 

Mushroom spawn was ordered for us to try growing them in a bucket.  Later I will order a different species of mushroooms to grow in the garden as a soil amendment.  Yes you read that right.  By adding mulch (straw or aspen chips or hardwood chips) and inoculating it with mushroom spawn I will get it broken down in record time releasing nutrients into my soil AND giving us yummy edible mushrooms at the same time.  Sounds like a win win situation :)

Wednesday will be seed planting day so I am still rearranging and making room for all the seedlings I need to raise.   

Herbs that I should be getting started soon... 

Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Sage, Chives Garlic Chives 

 These need started or actually should have been started last month.  

  • 8 Dakota Tears onions 
  • 4 Elisa Craig onions  

The good news is these will go out about mid April when I need to be starting the third batch of seedlings...  

These are a bit more problematic as they need started now but have to stay in until mid May... 

  • 10 leeks  
  • 2 sorrel

These are just hitting best days to plant and need to be kept inside until mid May..

  • 2- 4 eggplant
  • 3-4  sweet peppers

These can wait until the first part of April and notice that this is my big batch.  I will be starting 50 plants that will need to be raised until mid May... 

  • 3 or 4 leaf broccoli I got in the swap- have to try this
  • 6 Kale 2 per variety 
  • 8 collards
  • 4 swiss chard

AND then come the tomatoes

10 bucket tomatoes for the front yard, 16 tomatoes for the backyard, 

and umm I think that is it what has to be started.. how many plants is that? Besides too many I mean... 

No comments:

Post a Comment